Due to Covid-19 we are now having to find way to keep us and our families entertained in the house – indoor play. The sun may be shining but we are unable to ride the horses as much as we would like, if at all, as the UK Government’s advice is now that the country is on lockdown and that we must only exercise one a day or go out for essential food shopping.
If you are working from home, home schooling or finding ways to keep entertained then The Horse Exchange – THEx have put together some ideas for the best equine podcasts to listen too, horse books to read and horse related films to watch so that you and the family can enjoy indoor play.
- Equiratings – This is a weekly eventing podcast that brings you all the latest news and gossip. Although eventing has stopped the equiratings team will be sure to keep you entertained.
- Sheltie – The Sheltie Series by Peter Clover takes you on many adventures with Emma and her Shetland Pony Sheltie.
- Claire Balding has written a number of popular children’s books – THEx especially like The Racehorse that wouldn’t Gallop and The Racehorse that Disappeared.
- Tilly’s Pony Tails are written by Pippa Funnell. The fictional stories that follow Tilly and her rescue pony Magic Spirit on their adventures. Each book includes top tips and expert advice from Pippa on looking after and riding ponies.
- Mary King The Autobiography – from a non-horsey family, Mary King worked hard to get to ride at Badminton Horse trials and become an Olympian.
- William Fox-Pitt: What Will Be – incredible insight into William’s life, horses and events.
- Carl Hester: Making It Happen – the amazing memoirs of the boy from Stark, with a passion for horses who has transformed British Dressage.
- Black Beauty – the film is based on the book Black Beauty written by Anna Sewell in 1877 and tells the life of Black Beauty from the horses viewpoint.
- National Velvet – this is the story of a young girl, Velvet Brown who is mentored by former jockey Mi Taylor and her quest to the Grand National riding her horse The Pie.
- Secretariat – this film is about the American thoroughbred racehorse who becomes the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years and breaks the record for winning the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths. This is one of the greatest races of all time.
- War Horse – this film is based on the book War Horse by Michael Morpungo. This film follows the story of Albert and his horse Joey, who is sold to the British Calvary. Albert follows his horse into the army in the hope that they are reunited.
- Racing Stripes – is a family friendly film about a Zebra who is raised on a farm next to a racing track. He believes he is a racehorse and dreams of competing and winning in races.
- SeaBiscuit – is a film about a jockey, owner and trainer who come together to successfully train the racehorse Seabiscuit.
However you choose to spend your time whilst you are in quarantine – stay safe.