The entries are submitted to the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) these are then put forward to the British Olympic Association for selection to the Games.
The nominated combinations are:-
- Fiona Bigwood with Penny Bigwood and her own Hawtins Delicato Groom: Heidi Troniseck
- Richard Davison with Gwendolyn Meyer and his own Bubblingh Groom: Heidi Troniseck
- Charlotte Dujardin with Emma Blundell, Jill Blundell and Carl Hester’s Mount St John Freestyle Groom: Alan Davies
- Emile Faurie with Theodora Livanos and his own Dono di Maggio OLD Groom: Victoria Richards
- Charlotte Fry with Van Olst Horses and her own Everdale Groom: Steven Caley
- Carl Hester with Sandra Biddlecombe, Charlotte Dujardin, Lady Anne Evans and his own En Vogue Groom: Lucy Scudamore
- Gareth Hughes with Judy Firmston-Williams and his own Sintano Van Hof Olympia Groom: Steph Sharples
- Susan Pape with Harmony Sporthorses and her own Harmony’s Eclectisch Groom: Greta Heemsoth
- Laura Tomlinson with Ursula Bechtolsheimer and her own DSP Rose of Bavaria Groom: Bea Snudden-Burnham
The following 3 combinations have been named as reserves:
- Charlotte Dujardin – direct reserve: Renai Hart, Carl Hester and her own Gio
- Charlotte Fry – direct reserve: Van Olst Horses and her own Dark Legend
- Gareth Hughes – non-direct reserve: Claudine Kroll, Jessica Kroll, Martin Kroll and his own KK Dominant
The selected squad of four combinations will travel to Tokyo, plus reserves, will be announced on 28 June 2021.