A glorious 4-day weekend is ahead of us and although the Easter break is a time to be shared with your friends and family, for us equestrians it is the perfect opportunity to be at the yard with the horses.
Here are 5 ideas for a fun filled Easter bank holiday: –
- Cross-country schooling. The weather is looking lovely and the ground has good grass coverage and is perfect. Blow away those winter cobwebs and take your horse for a jump and gallop. “A canter is a cure for every evil”, Winston Churchill.
- Head to a competition – check out what pony club or riding club events there are this weekend. Look up local Easter shows at the nearest Equestrian Centers. Practicing trotting straight down the center line or your jump-off turns around a show jumping course. “There is something about the outside of a horse, that is good for the inside of a man”, Winston Churchill.
- Get together with your friends and go for a long hack. There is nothing better for bonding with your horses than packing up the saddle bags with sandwiches, sweets, carrots and polos and filling up the hip flask! “No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle”, Winston Churchill.
- Head to a point to point. There are several venues holding point to points this weekend https://www.pointtopoint.co.uk/fixtures A fantastic day out watching amateur horse racing across the countryside and a great opportunity for a picnic in the sunshine! “When you are on a great horse, you have the best seat you will ever have”, Winston Churchill.
- Have a spring clean of the yard, lorry, tack room and stables. Advertise any unused or unwanted tack on The Horse Exchange for free. Clean the field troughs and disinfect the stable mats. Clean out the lorry and set it up for the season ahead. Send the winter rugs off the be washed and repaired and get out the summer sheets and fly rugs! “ Don’t give your sons money. Give them horses!”. Winston Churchill
What ever you chose to do this Easter – have fun spending time with you horse and family…if you have too!