Burghley Horse Trials first hosed a three-day event by accident in 1961 when the Marquess of Exeter heard that the event at Harwood has been cancelled due to foot and mouth disease. As a keen horse rider the Marquess invited the British Horse Society to transfer the event to his estate which has now become one of the greatest venues in the world for eventing.
Over the four days Burghley has more than 167,000 visitors, 600 carefully selected exhibitors, on average 80 world class horses and riders and a prize fund of over £300,000. Burghley Horse Trials in one of the six CCI 4*’s in the world and is one of the most challenging test for both horse and rider.
Andrew Nicholson and Avebury hold the record for winning the Burghley title for three consecutive years in a row 2012, 2013 and 2014.
2018 results: –
- Tim Price (AUS) Ringwood Sky Boy
- Oliver Townend (GBR) Ballaghmore Class
- Andrew Nicholson (AUS) Swallow Springs
- Sarah Bullimore (GBR) Reve Du Rouet
- Piggy French (GBR) Vanir Kamira
- Harry Meade (GBR) Away Cruising
- Richard Jones (GBR) Alfies Clover
- Willa Newton (GBR) Chance Remark
- Elizabeth Power (IRE) Soladoun
- Tim Price (AUS) Bango